Already have a Username/Password for eJournal of Public Affairs?
Need a Username/Password?
NOTE: Registration and login are required to review items online and to check the status of current submissions.
- Title of the article and date of submission on the top of the first page of the manuscript
- Editors prefer concise manuscripts consisting of less than 5000 words—not including references and appendices—and should have no more than six tables or figures
- Must be in a Word .doc or .docx file with
- Top, bottom, left, and right margins set to one inch
- Times New Roman 12-point font, double spaced
- Text, table of references, simple tables, and other native Word elements in a single file
- Page numbers in the lower right corner of all pages
- Most current APA style, except, periods should be followed by one space
- Abstract should consist of one paragraph of no more than 250 words
- Each biography should consist of one paragraph of no more 150 words
- Prepare author(s) portrait(s) in .jpg, .gif, or .png format, 150×200 pixels or larger (optional)
- Prepare a key word list, including topic (service learning, democratic engagement), discipline (sociology, education), methodology (quantitative, close reading), and specialized words and phrases
- Register or log in
- Click “New Submission”
- Check items on the preparation list and accept copyright terms
- Choose section: article, feature, research note, or book review
- Write an optional note to the editor concerning special requests or inclusion in a themed issue
- Upload anonymized manuscript
- Enter metadata:
- Author(s) name(s) (Note: the first name will be the corresponding author)
- Title of the article
- Abstract (copy and paste into a text box)
- Upload author(s) portrait(s)
- Keywords (copy and paste into text boxes)
- Upload supplemental files
- A separate table of references in APA style with a line separating each bibliographic item (this becomes part of the metadata)
- Data sets and any additional documents
- Tables and charts
- Images (.jpg or .png format)
NOTE: Authors should receive an email verifying a complete submission shortly after finishing the process.
Submission Preparation Checklist
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission’s compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- Manuscripts conform to the standards set forth in the most current edition of the American Psychological Association (APA) publication manual. Where available, URLs for the references have been provided.
- Manuscripts are in Microsoft Word format.
- Manuscripts do not identify the author(s) facilitating the double blind review process. Please follow the instructions in Ensuring a Blind Review.
- Author(s) biography are no more than 150 words and includes an author portrait.
- Supplemental text files are in .doc or .docx format. Images are in .jpg, .png, or .gif format.Spreadsheet files (excel, etc.) are translated into a word document format or saved as an image file to ensure proper display on the journal website.
- Choose the section in which the submission should be published:
- Articles: original research, essays exploring new ideas related to the eJournal’s focus, and invited submissions, peer reviewed
- Research notes: discussions seeking to advance a new idea, theoretical perspective, or description of a current research program including its aims, methodologies, and preliminary conclusions, editorially reviewed
- Features: articles or multimedia presentations describing innovative or exemplary programs, projects, institutions; additional descriptive material in themed issues will also be placed in Features, editorially reviewed
- Book reviews: reviews of recent books or published media, editorially reviewed
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.